Step up your snacking game by whipping up a batch of these tasty spiced apple chips.
Snacking can be the downfall of any attempt at a healthy diet. Opting for nibbles like chocolate, crisps and biscuits can quickly inflate your daily calorie count, and even healthier shop-bought options like protein bars and dried fruit can be teeth-tinglingly high in sugar.
Just as it’s easier to keep tabs on what you’re eating by cooking your own dinners rather than opting for microwave meals, making your own snacks ensures you’re not overloading on sugar, salt, fat and calories.
Whatever the source of your snacks, however, it’s important that they satisfy your mid-morning/mid-afternoon/late-night cravings, otherwise you’ll be back on the biscuits in no time. This spiced apple chips recipe – created by Dr Rupy Aujla (The Doctor’s Kitchen) as part of the Great British Apples #GoodnessToGo campaign – is packed full of flavour, making it the perfect solution to between-meal tummy rumblings. Make cooking a batch of these chips part of your Sunday evening routine and you’ll have a jar full of healthy snacks to take to the office come Monday morning.
- 400g Braeburn apples
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp ground cardamom seeds
- ½tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1tsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan assisted) or gas mark 3.
- Mix the spices in a bowl.
- Thinly slice the apple into 1-2mm rounds and tap them so the seeds fall out.
- Cover the slices with the spice mix and place on a baking trays greased with coconut oil or lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 45 minutes until dry.
- Turn the apples halfway through for an even bake and take them out of the oven a bit early if you prefer them slightly chewy.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight jar.
You can experiment with different spices to create your own apple chip variations. Ground cloves and nutmeg are other good options, or if you prefer your snacks to be savoury, try using ½tsp ground chilli, a pinch of salt, ½tsp black pepper and 1tsp ground cumin to make your spice mix.
Written by Coach for Coach and legally licensed through the Matcha publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to email@example.com.